Sweet relief! Today, you can go outside and not feel the blistering, painful glare of Helios.
ATM & I did some real talk Re: our vacation this year. The plan started out as a week or so in NYC. Then it turned into a few days in New Orleans. Now we're like, "We can't!" While I'm a little bummed about it, I'm also o.k. with our decision. We realized that we need to prioritize our new home and put a little time and money into it. I mean, I still haven't bought drapes. Instead of taking a big trip, we will probably make an event out of going to Gonerfest in Memphis this year. Fine by me! Rock n roll! Strapping Fieldhands? Guitarwolf? Yes, ma'am! We've also got to save $$$ for our super brief, but pricey trip to Austin, TX in October. We're going to witness nuptials in a cave! We won't be able to spend any time there, maybe get one meal outside of the wedding reception and then we're out.
G U I T A R W O L F

Because I'm feeling so fine today, maybe it's a good time to discuss how low I felt the other evening. I was feeling pretty disgusted with humanity. The sexism, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, the ignorance, everything. In the past, I used to think it was limited to a lunatic fringe element, but as it turns out, it's increasingly a huge amount of people; it's pretty much mainstream and it's awful!
I want to believe that I'm an optimistic realist; that it is my general view on life. Things can be bad, real bad, but there's always a silver lining AND my life isn't that awful. I think people forget this. This country is engaged in two wars, but I can still find the beauty of life during a stroll through the woods. But, you know what? On the whole, people are irredeemable fucking assholes. (Pardon!) Altruism gets taken advantage of ruthlessly. The way certain people act and speak, you would think that it would just kill them to care about something or someone(s).
I feel that people act really poorly because of fear, ignorance, a lack of respect for others, and just plain bad manners. Well, I just want to say this to those select
Things that I do not think are scary, but a lot of people "do": Curry, falafel & other foreign foods, small, gas-efficient automobiles, mosques, Lady Gaga, Barack Obama's sandals, the so-called socialist trajectory of our country, and breastfeeding.
Things that are actually scary: Ants, the stripping of civil liberties, Barack Obama's sandals (they ugly!), Sarah Palin, oil spills, teenagers, and Baby Boomers. And this lamp:

Yeah, REEAAAAAL subtle, flea market purveyor! It took all of my might to not take my hammer and sickle out of my purse and smash it to pieces!
Thankfully, I managed to pull myself out of this deep, dark place. I can only stay submerged for so long. But, people really need to get it TOGETHER and really think about things. I'm talkin' about deep, hard critical thinking. Things would be so much better if people thought things out before they spoke or harshly judged. Maybe do a little listening, too. And some general being kind to others. Golden ruler.
-----
Last Weds., ATM was all like, "Let's go to the Arkansas Underground Film Festival this Friday!" It doesn't take a lot of convincing me to go to Hot Springs, so I booked us a room, laid down some kitty litter for the cats, and off we went! We got to watch the first films by Jim Henson , Martin Scorsese, Guy Maddin, David Lynch & Roman Polanski. It's been too long since I've seen a film projected via film. So special! There was a projectionist! Remember them? Special. After watching those famous firsts, we took a break to eat BBQ (yeah) and then returned to watch David Lynch's ERASERHEAD on the silver screen. I usually approach Lynch films with a little apprehension and this was no exception. I really liked the movie, but was completely horrified the entire time. I don't know if I'll ever watch it again, but I'm glad I did. I enjoy being made uncomfortable by the arts from time to time, it's good for you! I did want to research the symbolism of the movie, but since Lynch doesn't really divulge that information, you're on your own. The internet is full of bloody film student insight and none of it is any good. On a different note, I love Hot Springs!


Sunday swimmin' @ Casa de Salley-Holland:


No comments:
Post a Comment